By Mark Elezaj
Saul Canelo Alvarez says that a third fight with Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin no longer appeals to him.
Canelo believes that he already beat GGG twice, so what’s the point of having the third fight? Plus the fact that he’s already set up his next fight, on November 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, when he will be moving up two weight classes to challenge current WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev, GGG is not even a thought in his mind right now.
“The truth is that I did not visualize that fight (with Golovkin) right now. I am taking these risks, these fights for my career, and right now he does not represent anything to me. I beat him twice and he does not represent a greater challenge for me to have a fight with him,” Canelo said to ESPN Deportes.
“I am taking these challenges, I think he should take these challenges in his career, but he has not taken any risks… it really does not represent any challenge to fight him again… so I am doing this (fight with Kovalev), big fights, big challenges for my career and the love of boxing.
“This is making history, it motivates me to make history, climb two divisions, win four titles, it represents more to me, adds more motivation and more risks… it represents much more to me than the other fight. I am taking the risks of this magnitude to make history.”
Canelo and Golovkin first met in 2017 and fought to a controversial twelve round split draw.
They met again in 2018, this time Canelo was awarded a very close twelve round majority decision over GGG.
Canelo has moved on from the notion of a third showdown with GGG, turning his attention to Kovalev,
“It’s a risk for me because naturally he’s heavier than me, he’s stronger than me, bigger, but my skills and strength will have me ready for this, that’s why we’re here trying to change everything and make history in boxing. that is the only thing I want,” Canelo told ESPN Deportes.
“I want the story (of my career) to be well written. (Kovalev) is one of the most complicated fights in my career, if not the most complicated, but we are ready to take on this great commitment.”
Golden Boy Promoter Oscar De La Hoya, says that a trilogy with Gennady Golovkin will indeed take place in 2020.
“You will absolutely see Canelo and GGG fight next year,” De La Hoya said to The Los Angeles Times.
“It could be in May or September, but that fight will happen. But Canelo’s fight against Kovalev is huge. I think it’s bigger than a fight against GGG. It’s a mega-fight. Kovalev has a real shot to knock him out and beat him and people know that.”
“Oscar says many things that make no sense,” responded Alvarez.
“Gennady Golovkin does not represent anything for me right now. He comes from practically fighting a nobody. He doesn’t represent a challenge that I haven’t had already in our two fights. For me, yes, we are finished.”
~ The Fighting Voice ~