Tyson Fury Dominates Deontay Wilder, Stops Him In Seven

By Mark Elezaj

Las Vegas – Tyson Fury said that this time the outcome would be different. Fury promised that he was going to bring the fight to Wilder and that he was going to be the aggressor, looking to knock out the champion within “two rounds”.

When they first met, Fury showed that he was not afraid of the champion and Saturday night was no different.

The undefeated “Lineal” champion, Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) was more aggressive, put on a technical display against Deontay Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs) knocked him down two times and finally made Wilder’s corner throw in the towel in the seventh round of their epic WBC heavyweight championship rematch at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

From the start, both fighters went after each other. Wilder looked to establish his jab while landing two good right hands. Fury did not back down, then backing Wilder up with a combination. Fury continued to press the action, landing a few more shots before the bell sounded.

In the second round, Fury landed a right to the side of Wilder’s head that forced the champion back. Fury was able to stop Wilder from advancing by throwing and landing his jab. Fury, who had predicted a second round knockout, continued to attack the champion, but the bell sounded and we were off to round three.

In the third, Fury landed a hard early. Both fighters clinched and had to be broken apart by referee Kenny Bayless time and time again. Fury continued to be the aggressor, hitting Wilder with a left hand and then a right to the back of his head, sending Wilder to the canvas. Wilder got up, looked to clinch with Fury, and ended up going down again. Bayless ruled the second knockdown a slip.

Round four, Wilder appeared fatigued, falling to the canvas after losing his footing. Bayless ruled that Wilder fell down, and was not dropped by one of Fury’s punches.

In the fifth, Fury landed a left to the body, dropping Wilder for the second time in the fight. Wilder did get up from the shot, and Fury continued to dominate the round. Wilder started to show that he had very little left at this point. As the round continued, Bayless took a point from Fury for hitting behind the head.

The sixth round was more of the same. Wilder, who looked out on his legs, could barely move around the ring and was unable to avoid Fury’s onslaught.

In the seventh round, Wilder had nothing left. Fury tasted blood, literally, and continued to push the action, eventually pinning the champion in the corner. Fury continued to throw punches, landing a hard right hand followed by a combination that hurt Wilder. Wilder’s corner threw in the towel and Bayless waved off the fight, stopping it at 1 minute, 39 seconds.

Wilder protested the stoppage, as the crowd of 15,816 at the MGM Grand hotel was on its feet cheering. The highly anticipated rematch shattered the previous record record with a $16.9 million gate.

At the time of the stoppage, Fury was up on all three judges scorecards, 59-52 and 58-53 on the third.

According to CompuBox numbers, Fury landed 48 more punches than Wilder (82 of 267 to 34 of 141). Fury also landed more power punches (58 of 160 to 18 of 55) and landed more jabs (24 of 107 to 16 of 86).

The Fighting Voice had Fury up 59-52 at the time of the stoppage.

“I’m doing good,” Wilder told ESPN’s Bernardo Osuna after suffering his first defeat.

“Things like this happen. The best man won tonight, but my corner threw in the towel and I was ready to go out on my shield. I had a lot of things going on heading into this fight. It is what it is, but I make no excuses tonight. I just wish my corner would have let me go out on my shield. I’m a warrior. He had a great performance and we will be back stronger.”

“Even the greatest have lost and came back. That is just part of it,” Wilder said. “You just take it for what it is. I can make no excuses tonight. I had a lot of complications. But we’ll come back stronger next time around. This is what big time boxing is all about, the best must fight the best. I appreciate all the fans that came out and supported the show, and I hope that everyone gets home safely.”

“A big shout out to Deontay Wilder,” Fury said.

“He came here tonight and he manned up. And he really did show the heart of a champion. I hit him with a clean right that dropped him, and he got back up. He is a warrior. He will be back. He will be a champion again. But I will say, the king has returned to the top of the throne!”

Tyson Fury claimed this time would be different and Fury kept his word Saturday in Las Vegas.

Fury came into this fight with new trainer Javan “Sugar” Hill after parting ways with Ben Davison.

“Fury stuck to the game plan,” said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum.

“We told everyone what the game plan was. You can listen to all the interviews I did. Next time, people will listen to me.”

The “Gypsy King” showed us that there truly is only One Tyson Fury.

~ The Fighting Voice ~

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: