Tyson Fury could face eight-year ban as UKAD investigates tampering claim

By Mark Elezaj

LONDON — UKAD, Britain’s anti-doping body, is expected to look into an allegation made by a farmer stating that he was offered money to provide an alibi for heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.

Fury and his cousin Hughie were both given two-year bans by UK Anti-Doping back in 2017 for testing positive in 2015 for nandrolone, which both fighters blamed on eating uncastrated wild boar and ingesting contaminated supplements.

Farmer Martin Carefoot, who came out and said he was the one that provided the Furys with wild boar, has now backtracked his story in a recent interview with British newspaper The Mail on Sunday, and has now stated that he was offered 25,000 pounds (nearly $31,000) to cover up the story in order to protect both fighters.

“I supplied a range of animal meats and offal to Team Fury, including wild boar and pigs.” Carefoot now claims those statements were lies, telling the paper: “I have never kept wild boar. I have never killed a wild boar.”

When asked if he had been willing to commit perjury for the Furys, Carefoot said: “I suppose if I’d had to. I was in too deep. They were dangling this carrot. I thought, you’re going to get 25 grand for this, it’s not a hanging matter. So I went along with it.”

Carefoot who claims that he was never paid what he was promised, also told the paper: “I feel sick of the lies and deceit and the public need to know the truth.”

If Ukad finds that the allegations made by Carefoot are credible, both fighters would face charges of “tampering with an investigation”, and they could receive up to an eight-year ban if found guilty.

“We will always review any potential evidence in relation to any anti-doping offence, and take investigatory action where necessary. If anyone has information that could be of interest to Ukad and its investigations on any matter, we urge them to contact us” said UKAD.

Boxing promoter Frank Warren, who works with Fury, has described the claims as “outrageous” and “a load of rubbish.”

Asked for comment on the new claims about the Furys’ anti-doping case, UKAD said: “We will always review any potential evidence in relation to any anti-doping offense, and take investigatory action where necessary.”

“We’ll leave this with UKAD to look into and don’t expect it to go any further,” Warren said.

“Tyson has never ever met this man and his story is total bullsh*t,” he said. “The farmer making these outrageous allegations sent me a letter last October, full of errors and basically telling me he had committed perjury by signing statements under oath and lying. When I called him, he asked for money. I told him to clear off and get in contact with Ukad. He chose not to speak to Ukad but instead speak to a newspaper.
“How anybody can take this man seriously is beyond belief. We’ll leave this with Ukad to look into and don’t expect it to go any further. It looks like while the football season has been paused, there’s nothing to write about and silly season has instead commenced.”

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman, said the allegations would have “no impact” on his reign as champion.

“Personally, I prefer to believe Tyson Fury ahead of someone who has already admitted to lying in legal documents for financial gain,” Sulaiman said. “The person who has claimed he accepted money to lie should be the one on trial, in my personal opinion, especially when he has waited five years to tell his story.

“Secondly, around this time Tyson was not involved with the WBC, he did not fight Klitschko for the WBC belt, it was for other titles, so this issue does not impact on him being our heavyweight world champion.”

Neither Tyson or Hughie Fury have publicly commented on the story.

~ The Fighting Voice ~

Advertisements

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: