By Mark Elezaj
Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin were expected to renew their rivalry in September, but according to Golovkin’s trainer Jonathon Banks, that is not the case.
Back in March, it was being reported that both men had agreed to terms for the much anticipated trilogy, but Banks has gone on the record dismissing the idea of this fight happening any time soon.
“No, they called me about it, and I said no,” Golovkin’s head trainer Johnathon Banks told IFL TV. “The plan was for him to get this fight [against Kamil Szeremeta from Poland, who is Golovkin’s mandatory challenger] and get another fight, and then possibly fight Canelo.”
According to Banks, Golovkin had made numerous attempts to get the third fight to happen, but was rejected by Alvarez.
“When we went to Canelo and said we’re ready, he said ‘no, I don’t want to fight,'” Banks said. “He disappeared and went and did whatever he wanted to do and refused the fight. Now he’s saying he’s ready after this pandemic, ‘let’s do it.’”
Both fighters, who are under contract with DAZN, were in line to take interim fights early this year.
Golovkin (40-1-1, 35KOs) was set to face Szeremeta (21-0, 5KOs) in the first defense of the International Boxing Federation (IBF) middleweight title he regained last October.
Alvarez (53-1-2, 36KOs) was set to come down from light heavyweight to challenge unbeaten super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (29-0, 14KOs) on May 2 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Plans for both fights were put on hold in the wake of the ongoing coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Alvarez and Golovkin fought to a questionable 12-round draw in September of 2017.
One year later, Canelo went on to win the rematch by majority decision to end Golovkin’s title reign at 20 defenses.
Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez appeared on “The Ak & Barak Show” earlier this month and spoke about the possibility of Canelo and GGG resuming their rivalry later this year or even in 2021.
Gomez just wants the fight fans to know that the ball is in Canelo’s court.
“We’re going to consider everything and, like I said, it’s up to Canelo,” Gomez said.
“It’s really up to him. We’re going to bring to him all the possibilities, we’re going to present everything to him and then he’ll make a decision.
“I know that trilogy is the fight that everybody wants to see,” he continued. “At least the fans have made it known that they want to see that third fight. The first two were very good fights. They make for good fights because of styles. So, it’s going to be up to Canelo, what he wants to do, and we’re going to present different plans for him. But, yes, right now we’re taking it day by day. There’s other things to worry about right now.”
As far as Banks is concerned, he plans to keep Golovkin on course.
“If you want to do this, let [Golovkin] get this fight out the way,” Banks said.
“Then, if everything is still a go, then let’s come together.”
~ The Fighting Voice ~